- · Originally there was a brine shaft with a headstock.
- · This was replaced by a nodding donkey and pump.
- · The brine passed around the site in pipes.
- · Finally the brine is stored in the brine tank.
- · Pan House 1 was demolished in the 1980s before the works closed in 1986 and is now a garden.
- · Pan House 2 has largely fallen down but the pan and stove survive.
- · Pan House 3 and 4 survive intact and are due to be restored.
- · Pan House 5 was dismantled as part of the 2009 enabling works.
The Lion Salt Works had a stove connected to all the pan houses that survived into the 1980s (again numbered 1-5). Four of these survive whilst the fifth will be rebuilt.
- Stove House 1 (AKA The Link Block) – this originally connected to Pan House 1 and was one of the first built on site in the 1890s. It has almost entirely collapsed.
- Stove House 2 survives on site next to the canal. It again dates to the 1890s. It has a timber first floor unlike all the other stove houses.
- Stove House 3 runs next to Ollershaw Lane and dates to 1900. It is made of brick with distinctive rail tracks used to support the warehouse floor.
- Stove House 4 was built in 1956 to replace a series of four common pans [see link].
- Stove House 5 was built in 1965. It has been dismantled but will be rebuilt as a purpose built area of the new museum.
How to build a Stove House? [http://thelionsaltworks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/how-tobuild-stove-house.html]
- · The canal side
- · The rail lines
- · The loading bay